Baby wearing is one of the most practical ways of taking care of your newborn. It is an essential skill for anyone nursing a baby.
Before anything else, you have to always use a durable material or cloth if you want to wear your baby around your body.
One of the best materials to use is a muslin swaddle blanket. It is a durable fabric that’s made to keep your baby comfortable when being swaddled or carried in a baby wrap.
Here are the steps on how to make your own baby wrap with your blanket.
- Fold the blanket in half, forming a triangle shape.
- Put it behind your back, making sure it is flat across.
- Make sure that one end is over your shoulder and the other is at your hip.
- Hold both ends firmly making sure that the fabric behind your back is not twisted.
- Tie the other end to your shoulder.
- Take the tail in up and behind through the top end. Then take it below and pull it over your shoulder again. Pull the fabric through the loop that you made to complete the knot.
- See if it moves up and down securely.
- Once you see that it’s safe, you can now put your baby in.
Reminders When Carrying Your Baby In A Wrap
- It has to be tight but not too tight. Your baby should be supported enough to keep them safe for the ride. Too tight and it can be too uncomfortable for the baby which will make them irritable or even affect their breathing. Too loose and it may cause them to accidentally fall off.
- You have to always see your baby’s face. This is a good distance to check on their reaction. It also lets you see if there’s any cloth on their face which might affect their breathing. Their faces should be close enough for a kiss. While this is a cute way of putting it, it is important to maintain a good distance to monitor the status of your baby.
- Their neck and back should be supported at all times. You don’t want them leaning against you or sagging away. This is both an uncomfortable and dangerous position for them. Make sure to keep them securely close to you.
Baby Wrapping is not a new trend. It has been used by Native Americans and other races in the past. It is practical and a safe way of bringing your baby with you when done properly.
You can use other fabrics, but we found that muslin blankets work best because of their size, durability, and the overall construction well suited for caring for newborns and infants.
Leave a Reply